Friday, November 12, 2010

Mennonite Cupcakes

Here's my first cupcake post!
It's from a Mennonite cookbook I have called "Food that Really Schmecks" by Edna Staebler. The Mennonite people originated in what is now Germany, but slowly moved up to the area we call Ukraine. Before they moved to Canada, my great-grandparents lived in a Mennonite village in Ukraine. But now for the recipe:


Blueberry [or cranberry] Cupcakes 


Tools You Will Need:
  • 1 big mixing bowl
  • 1 small mixing bowl
  • 1 whisk
  • 1wooden spoon
  • 1 sifter
  • 1 cupcake/muffin tin
  • 12 paper cupcake/muffin liners
  • measuring cups and spoons

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup of shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 4 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 cups of blueberries (can be replaced with 2 cups of cranberries)


Directions:

"Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, then well beaten eggs and vanilla; blend well.
Stir in the milk alternately with the sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
Mix well.
Add the blueberries, sprinkled with the 1/4 cup of flour.
Fill paper cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
I'll bet these would be good with cranberries too."

- Food that Really Schmecks by Edna Staebler copyright 1968 McGraw-Hill Ryerson Ltd.

  You could also add a cream cheese icing.


                                                       My cranberry and blueberry cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I want to eat them right out of the picture!:)
    They look so delicious!!

    See you at school,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corynn! Those cupcakes look really good!!! I was wondering, would you like to follow me? My blog address is: www.closeupphotos.blogspot.com
    Bye!
    Jade:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following me Corynn! Thanks for your two comments too! I understand what you mean by you posted a really long comment, and it didn't even post! That's happened to me before on Emily's blog! But, I also put my comments on moderation, so that means that before your comment can be public for everyone, it goes through me first! I chose to do that because if somebody posts something inappropriate, I can choose to not publish it. Anyways, thanks for your two comments and for following me!
    Jade:)
    P.S. Harrypotterharrypotterharrypotterharrypotterharrypotterharrypotter to you too!!!!!!!:D :) :O ;D ;) ;O

    ReplyDelete